Botanical name: Piper nigrum L. Sinhala Name: Gammiris. But very often, especially in case of non-Indian recipes, I’m at a loss when it comes to the ingredients (mostly spices) that they use. I am a Sri Lankan at birth but my moves to Sweden many many years ago (that’s another saga) This is an aromatic spice and is used either whole or ground. This is essential for making curry powder. Spices, like all foods, have a distinct shelf life and will go bad. Botanical name – Coriandrum sativum There are many other spices in Sri Lanka, but these are the main. FA, on the other side, appears in a few few native words plus Arabic, Persian and English loans. Goraka Sinhala name     – Koththamalli Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Note. Spices. Turmeric Botanical name – Cinnamomum zeylanicu Normally we know a few vegetable names in English. Indian Spices-Glossary of Indian Spices in English,Tamil and Hindi-Indian Spices Names (list) ... Find below a list of basic Indian Spices and their names in Hindi and Tamil. It’s especially added to the kiri hodi and white curries. This is also used for both savory and sweet dishes. Cloves Aromatic ingredient for rice and other Indian dishes. Thanks you. Sadikka - Nutmeg Curundu - Cinnamon In sinhala (Sri Lanka), it is known as. Iam so glad that I was able to read & follow your recipes in English since my Singala is horrible, now my son who loves cooking SL food too can follow your superb recipeswhich Iam very thankful to you. A great sinhala movie "drama", of a father( Mr.Joe Abewickrama), who refuses to believe in his son's death at war. From professional translators, enterprises, web pages and freely available translation repositories. This is an essential ingredient for curry powder. But we often get confused in their names in English and Hindi. Nutmeg Vegetable names in English. Sinhala name     – Goraka Orange fruit divided into segments. Here are some spicy details along with their Sinhalese name: Abba - Mustard Black mustard seed is very pungent and acrid. MALE : FEMALE : THEHAN - Threefold Honours: LIYONI - The origin of writing : DIYON - Brave birth : NEVINKA - She who enjoys law : Sinhala names that sound like Japanese. Botanical name – Garcinia cambogia Available as a curled stick or as ground powder. Indian spices include a variety of spices grown across the Indian subcontinent (a sub-region of South Asia).With different climates in different parts of the country, India produces a variety of spices, many of which are native to the subcontinent. Sinhala name – Siyambala Tropical Sri Lanka with its diverse micro climates and soil types has many spices grown in the island, some of them endemic, which has been the cause for their lucrative spice trade throughout the ages. Posted by Administrator on 10:39 PM Categories: Spicy. Sinhala name   – Karandamungu This spice is used in making curry powder and some sweet dishes and cakes. Also, read- 100 Vegetable s Name in Hindi. Botanical name – Myristica Fragrans Mainly used for seasoning with salt. And also your baking tips video is really helpful . An exotic addition to rice dishes and confectionary, especially in the Sri Lankan national pudding, Watalappam. Coriander It is an… Others were imported from similar climates and have since been cultivated locally for centuries. Black mustard seed is very pungent and acrid. Rae manamali is a sprawling shrub with vine-like stems. Sinhala name     – Ulu hal The english name Night-flowering jasmine is used for Sepalika, i.e., Nyctanthes arbor-tristis, which is another night-blooming flower common in Buddhist-temple gardens. Ripe chilies may be cream, yellow, orange or even puple-black and are easy to dry in the sun or in a slow oven. It is mainly used in every curry and is also used as an antiseptic. Director: Prasanna Vithanage | Stars: Joe Abeywickrama , Nayana Hettiarachchi , Kumara Karunananda , Mahendra Perera If you would need more information on the spices of Sri Lanka and their uses, The Sri Lankan Spice … Now I’ve learned more tips about East, baking powder and baking soda . They are commonly divided into the categories of spices, spice seeds, and herbs.… kurundu, Sanskrit as tvak or da-rusita- Cinnamon These spice mixes, especially the ones that are specific to a dish, don’t really have a corresponding English name except for translating that dish into English. Hi,. Botanical name – Trigonella foenum-graecum Project for Mainstreaming Biodiversity Conservation and Sustainable use for Improved Human Nutrition and well-being in Sri Lanka These spices are individual spices, but a lot of times in the spice rack of your grocery store, you would find spice mixes like garam masala, chole masala, rajma masala, goda masala, nihari masala, 5-spice panch phoran spice mix etc. It is used whole, powdered or finely ground, in everything from pickles and chutneys to meat, fish and vegetable dishes. Add it to stews, soups, and desserts for depth of flavor. A tiny amount is infused in hot milk for about 10 minutes and added to rice dishes and desserts. Sri Lankan spices names. Tamarind Tej Patta. Tamil Name: Milahu Pepper is commonly known as “King of the spice” is the second largest spice commodity in the world trade, next to chilli. Fennel – also known as sweet cumin Today it is a very commonly used spice globally. Ajwain is one of those spices that are very often confused with other plants, despite its un­ambigous English name. Here are some spicy details along with their Sinhalese name: Abba - Mustard Most of Indian recipes on the Internet mention the spice name in hindi and english both. The Portugese, Dutch and English found the country attractive, when they conquered Asia, mainly due its spice and ivory trade. Already in the early days of trading Sri Lanka was known as a spice island. When lightly dry roasted it gives a special aroma. The Sinhala term ‘kurundu’ is transliterated into English as” Coorundo” in 17th century records.In following languages, Ceylon or Sri Lanka (denoting the country of origin) is affixed as qualifying word to the common names they use for cinnamon. The length of that shelf life depends on how the spices are cared for. Finally may I ask you for a recipe for baked patties, love cake & rich cake. Ceylon Spices for the future. This is a spice, which strengthens the food flavor without making them hot. Dear Anoma, I get mails from foreigners asking me about Indian spices, so I decided to introduce Indian spices, spice powder and few other ingredients commonly used in Indian cooking. Indian food is unimaginable without spices. Anoma’s Kitchen marked the second year anniversary on 30th July. Botanical name – Syzygium aromaticum Unfortunatly I can only find English written recipies of Sri Lankan food in the net (it’s soooo yummy) … The Sinhala ones, I could find use the Sinhala alphabet. 132 Sinhala Baby Names With Meanings Apart from the endless beaches, rolling surf, fun trains, elephants, and scrumptious cuisine, Sri Lanka is also famous for its mix of several ethnic groups, consisting mainly of Tamil, Moor, Malay, Burgher, Christians, and of course, Sinhalese. Pepper Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Thank you very much for your kitchen tips . Botanical name – Cuminum cyminum It has little sweetish flavor. Sinhala name     – Suduru this is a great list of veggies and actually what you have promised! Not pot English is a derogatory and/or humorous term used by speakers of “standard Sri Lankan English” to describe the way first language speakers of Sinhala and Tamil pronounce the language. Sinhala name   – Sadikka. It is used whole, powdered or finely ground, in everything from pickles and chutneys to meat, fish and vegetable dishes. The sinhala name "Rae manamali" means, "bride of the night". Wishing you God’s strength in helping others with your gift of cooking. I too love to cook am must admit I too am very concerned with good house keeping, cleandiness to name a few.At times friends think Iam crazy with cleandiness. Mostly use dried and grounded to a powder. Sinhala name     – Karabu Nati Thus, I use Ḫ and Ġ as in Arabic; however, neither of them appears in any spice name I could find. The story of spices from Ceylon dates back to 14 th century and evidence has been uncovered of spice trade being conducted through roman period. Saffron. Mainly used for fish dishes. Velliche Misis - Chilies The white pepper is less pungent than the black pepper. Use either unroasted, roasted or added to hot oil for the best flavor and aroma. Add a translation. This tastes bitter and is used in small amounts in curries. Lightly dry roasted for the black curry. Botanical name –  Piper nigrum Dear Anoma, I do enjoy watching your recipe .and I live in USA . Here I am going to publish 100 vegetable names in English. Sinhala. MALE : FEMALE : SUVIK - Speedy health: NATHARIE - Brilliant wisdom : SANSUKA - Good comfort : KIYOMA - A good mother: Used as a souring agent for meats. For more travel and background information on Sri Lanka, read our Sri Lanka Guide and the travel tips, helping you to make the most out of your holiday in Sri Lanka. ... Sinhala - Last name? Project for Mainstreaming Biodiversity Conservation and Sustainable use for Improved Human Nutrition and well-being in Sri Lanka India is home to a large variety of spices that find their way through into many cuisines. When it is fresh it’s orange in color. Tamarind can be used as a substitute if Goraka is not available. 24/7 HOTLINE: While it’s native to India, Sri Lanka is one of the main suppliers of both the white and green varieties. An Acid tasting fruit. The Indian Ocean tropical island of Sri Lanka formally known by names such as Taprobane, Serendib and Ceylon has been famous for its quality spices since time immemorial. This belongs to the ginger family. Sri Lanka has always been known for the fabulous number of spices that are grown there and it is one of the reasons that the Portuguese, Dutch and British tried to gain control of it, as spices were worth a king’s ransom. API call; Human contributions. Allspice. Literature has examples of mis­identifi­cation with other spices (celery, lovage, nigella) and even non­culinary plants (gout­weed, tooth­pick­weed).See the etymology … Fennel – … English. Use unroasted for white curry. Botanical name – Tamarindus indica Thank you for the Spices and Herbs list and I find it extremely helpful. It is to differentiate true cinnamon from other varieties especially cassia. They are small and light brown in colour. Also used as part of spice … Saffron is one of the most expensive of spices. Thank you. Sinhala name – Suduru This is an essential ingredient for curry powder. Your email address will not be published. This 100 Vegetables name list is especially for kids and for those who want to learn the English name of vegetables and want to see the pictures of those vegetables. Botanical name – Elettaria cardamomum A vital ingredient in Sri Lankan, Thai and Mexican cooking to flavor meat and fish. First of all I must state that I do enjoy watching your recipes & even looking at you demonstrate these lovely recipes with a geniun smile.Let me tell you how I happened to see your site I was searching for Sri lanka recipes for baked cutlets & this is how I saw your page for which I am very thankful. This is a warm, sweet aromatic spice. The words ‘not’ and ‘pot’ are pronounced with an exaggeratedly closed ‘o’ to imitate an accent that is widely perceived as socially inferior. India is home to a large variety of spices that are used not just in Indian recipes but in recipes around the world. The fruits of the nutmeg tree have single-seed berries which produce two different spices, mace and nutmeg. There are two types: small green type and large brown type. Botanical name – Curcuma longa The “Queen of Spices” is the nickname given to cardamom—a spice used in both savory and sweet dishes. To look for selected Sri Lanka hotels or guesthouses click here... Today the following spices are found growing in Sri Lanka: ... name for the spice, ... former (colonial) name, Ceylon. Sera - Lemon Grass Please post recipe’s on roasted curry powder as well as curry powder for vegetables. Sinhala name   – Kaha It is used for both savory and sweet dishes. The finest quality cinnamon for cooking is pale in color with a pleasing fragrance. Already in the early days of trading Sri Lanka was known as a spice island. Gods blessings! Spice and herb, parts of various plants cultivated for their aromatic, pungent, or otherwise desirable substances.Spices and herbs consist of rhizomes, bulbs, barks, flower buds, stigmas, fruits, seeds, and leaves.

spices names in sinhala and english

Ge Built-in Gas Cooktop Jgp, Minecraft Bedrock Pumpkin Pie, Royce Hall Sarah Beeny, Highest Over The Counter Retinol Concentration, Black+decker 22 In 40v Max Cordless Hedge Trimmer,